Smalletics' Kitchen: Pizza-Style Chicken
After years of trying different meal plan strategies and recipes, I've collected a number of healthy, quick, easy, affordable, and terrible-chef-proof recipes that I cycle through regularly.
In recent years, I've come to understand that if I don't meal prep every Sunday night, the week that follows is going to be especially stressful: I'll reach point of hanger at least once, I'll opt for unhealthy quick fixes, I'll probably get stomach aches, and by the end of the week, even if I went to the gym consistently, I won't feel great.
But once I started meal prepping, all of that changed.
Not to mention, diet counts for 80% of your fitness, making it a part of your health you really can't ignore if you're already going to the gym consistently.
When it comes to cooking, my philosophy is that a good recipe is simple. To me, that means using few ingredients, not requiring that everything gets measured out to a T, and not using fancy chef words. I’m all for eye-balling when it comes to spices, oils, dressings—you name it.
This recipe is a Pizza Style Chicken dish and my go-to when I'm craving pizza, but looking a healthier option that is higher in protein.
It's delicious, and doesn't take a lot of time to make.
To make this a full meal, add a side salad and some steamed broccoli or vegetable of your choice.
Total Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- 4-6 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Minced garlic
- 2 cans crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup of mushrooms, diced
- Part skim mozarella
- Parsley, oregano, basil, pepper flakes, and salt and pepper, to taste
- Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and pepper on both sides. Thin chicken breasts that are more than 1.5 inches thick by cutting it width-wise.
- Heat a little olive oil in a pan.
- Cook the chicken breasts for 3-4 minutes on each side. Don’t flip prematurely. Once cooked all the way through, remove from pan and put aside into medium baking dish.
- Heat garlic and olive oil in the pan until fragrant (~1 min).
- Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, diced mushrooms, diced onions, basil, oregano, parsley, and pepper flakes (go sparingly if you only want a little bit of heat).
- Bring to a boil and then bring the heat down to low and let simmer for 15-20 minutes until thickened.
- Remove from heat and pour into baking dish with the chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle mozzarella on top.
- Preheat the oven to broil (500 degrees), and broil the the dish for one minute, until cheese melted.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately and package into separate containers for meal prep.
- 1 serving size: 1 chicken breast
- Calories: 306
- Protein: 37g
- Carbs: 10g
- Fat: 6g